Saturday, June 27, 2015

Gluten Free Brownies, or, baking with coconut flour

Guess what I did?
I baked!
two items!

I've been invited to a baking party next weekend and since two of my friends are gluten intolerant, the challenge is to find a gluten free recipe.

I've baked with rice flour before and wasn't particularly wowed by it, but I pretty much substituted it exactly for regular flour which you can't always do.

I debated buying the gluten free all purpose flour but decided to be more adventurous and instead I bought coconut flour to experiment with.
Turns out you have to make a few adjustments to your recipe when using coconut flour as it tends to be more absorbent than your standard all purpose flour.

After scouring Pinterest, my first experimental recipe was for a lemon loaf. 
It sucked.
It tasted too eggy, which was no surprise considering it called for 6 eggs. 

I tried again.

Brownies.
A big winner.

There's a nice hint of coconut (there would have been more if I had used coconut oil and coconut milk as the recipe calls for) so if you like the taste of coconut, grab some flour and give this recipe a whirl.




  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a brownie pan with parchment paper.
  • Over medium heat, combine 1/3 cup coconut oil1/4 cup butter and 1/2 cup honey until melted. In a heat-proof bowl, add 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Pour oil & butter over chocolate and allow chocolate to begin to melt, then stir until combined. 
  • Add in 1/2 cup coconut milk1 tsp vanilla, and 2 eggs
  • In a separate bowl, combine 1/2 cup coconut flour1 tbsp cocoa powder1/4 tsp baking soda, and 1/4 tsp salt. Mix into wet ingredients with a whisk to get rid of lumps.
  • Pour into brownie pan and bake for 25 minutes.  


No comments:

Post a Comment