Sunday, March 9, 2014

Healthy Chicken Fried Rice


On Wednesday night I wanted to make a nice dinner but I realized we had very little food in the house.
I knew I would use the roast chicken my dad had so kindly brought us, so I scoured the cupboards and the fridge for other items to go with it.
I happened upon a bag of brown rice from when I had tried to go on a cleanse to cure my bloating.
I decided I would make a healthier chicken fried rice entree.


It's really easy to make, much healthier than the kind you'd get at a Chinese restaurant, and you can customize it to include the vegetables you like. 
  • Make your brown rice. Follow the instructions on the bag but you can generally expect to follow the 2:1 ratio of water to rice. Also the rice I made takes 30-35 minutes to cook so do this first.
  • If you don't have pre-cooked chicken (as I did), now would also be a good time to get that chicken in the oven.
  • In a pan over medium heat, sautee 1 white onion until translucent (or not if you like a little more crunch) in 1 tbsp olive oil. Add in 1 stalk of celery, diced, broccoli, and fry until broccoli has softened. Add in spinach. Reduce heat to low and cook until spinach is wilted. Again, feel free to add in whatever veggies you want. 
  • Push the veggies to one side. Crack 1-2 eggs (depending on how many you're feeding and how much you like eggs) into the empty pan space and scramble them. 
  • Mix your cooked brown rice into the veggies and egg. Add in your chicken, cut into appropriately sized pieces, and mix it all together.
  • Serve and enjoy.
That's it.
It's not a spectacularly fancy or original recipe but it was really good for something I made on the fly. 
Try making your own (and healthier) version of some of your favourite take out items.

No comments:

Post a Comment