Sunday, January 12, 2014

Knitting Adventures: My First Hat

Having had moderate success moving away from my straight patterns (scarves and blankets) to more challenging patterns (the knittens from a previous post), I tried my hand at making a hat.
I started on circular needles but quickly came to hate them. I may need to give them a second chance in the future though.
I switched the my regular boring straight needles and picked a smaller size to ensure a warmer, more tightly knit hat. I used 4.0 mm (US 6) needles. 

I started with the basic pattern idea - knit a swatch to know how stitches it's going to take to make it around your head. Always err on the side of caution and knit less than you think if you're unsure. It's better if the hat needs to stretch a bit anyway.
I forget how many stitches it took me but it was quite a few. 

Then I knit and knit and knit until I had about 6 inches of the hat. Then I started knitting 3 together at each end to start tapering the hat down. 
Once I was down to about 10 stitches left I casted off and stitched the back together. 
I won't show you a picture of the back because it's horrible.
Nowhere near as nice as the front. 


I may do a few fixes to try and correct the monstrosity at the back. All I need is a patch I ordered online to arrive then voila - this hat will be a Valentines day present for my mountain climber.


I'll show you the final product once it's done! 

No comments:

Post a Comment