Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Candy Apple Cake Pops

There are definitely nice things about nursing shift work - I can more or less customize my schedule, I can pick up additional shifts to bolster my paycheque, etc - but there are definite downsides as well.
One is that we don't have the luxury of closing down on holidays.
So this long Thanksgiving weekend I worked away and as a result my family decided to postpone our Thanksgiving dinner to later this week so that we all could celebrate (read: stuff our faces) together.
 
So tomorrow is our Thanksgiving dinner!
I'm going to my parents' place straight from work where I'll sleep for a bit then help my dad and sister get food prepared.
I know my mom has called dibs on a desert but I want to try to make this cool desert I saw the other day.
Hopefully she won't mind... realistically they may taste okay but they're not going to look like they do in the picture below.
I'm optimistic but more realistic.  
 
In my search for all things Halloween I stumbled upon this recipe
and knew immediately it was one I was going to have to try.
 
(recipe and photo from Season of Sweet)
 
Candy Apple Cake Pops
 
1 box Duncan Hines Spice Cake Mix
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup oil
4 eggs


  • Mix all ingredients together in a bowl (batter will be thick).  Using a small cookie scoop, fill each reservoir.  Bake for 4 minutes.  Remove to cooling rack and repeat with remaining batter.  Makes about 4 dozen.
 
Candied Apple Syrup

 2 cups sugar
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon red food coloring


  • Line a baking sheet with buttered parchment paper; set aside. Insert sticks into cake balls; set aside.
  • In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, water, corn syrup and food coloring. Bring to a boil over high heat.  Once boiling, reduce to medium-high heat. Insert candy thermometer and continue to boil until temperature reaches hard crack stage (between 300-310 degrees), about 20 minutes. 
  • When mixture reaches temperature, immediately remove from the heat. Working quickly dip cake pop in sugar mixture (careful not to twist) until completely coated.  Let excess drip then transfer to prepared baking sheet and allow to cool.

Hope everyone had a wonderful long weekend full of turkey and all the fixings, family, and everything they could be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment