Friday, April 26, 2013

Restaurant Review: Balsamico

As I mentioned yesterday, John and I went out for a much needed dinner on Saturday night.
Being big fans of Italian food, we've hit the Italian restaurants around us many times. We were looking for someplace we hadn't been but that was still within walking distance.
 
After a quick interet search we landed on Balsamico.
 
We made reservations for 6:30 and it's a good thing we did because even though when we walked in there was only one other couple, every single table had a reserved sign on it. And this place picked up around 7:30 to the point where it was packed.
 
We split a half litre of a pinot grigio and a caprese salad ($9.95) to start.
I think the salad we got was a daily special because I believe he said it was buffalo mozarella and not bocconcini. The cheese melted in your mouth and was with the tomatoes, arugula, and blasamic vinegar it was to die for.  
 
 
For the main course John ordered the Pappardelle al porcini ($15.95)
[Porcini Mushrooms And Roasted Red Peppers In A Tomato Cream Sauce] which he enjoyed.
 
I ordered the Linguine Fra Diovolo ($14.95)
 [Italian Spicy Sausage,Baby Arugula,Cherry Tomato,Chili Flakes In A White Wine Sauce]
 
 
It was very good and I really enjoyed the arugula on top. Mixed in with the sauce and the parmesan and pepper it was a nice touch.
 
The service was fantastic (brought us another basket of bread after we downed the first one in minutes) and we were fortunate enough to be seated right by the window (where we watched renegade snowflakes fall from the sky). The food was also well worth the walk over.
One thing I didn't like personally was that pretty much all of the pasta options contained either seafood or mushrooms or both - two things I dislike. So it narrowed my options quite a bit. I'm sure I could have asked for another dish sans muchrooms but I don't like to be picky.
 
My meal was delicious though and I'd recommend checking this place out if you're a fan of Italian food done right.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment