Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Mint Double Chocolate Cookies

About a month, maybe two months, ago I chipped my wisdom tooth.
My bottom 2 were extracted when I was 14 and my top 2 grew in a few years ago.
I ignored it until little by little more of my tooth started to chip away.
A week or so ago a huge chunk of it fell off and I've been covering it with wax to keep the jagged edges from cutting up my cheek. It wasn't sore, so I made an appointment with my dentist for the 17th.
On Sunday night at work it started to ache a bit, but nothing that an extra strength tylenol couldn't fix.
It was sore again yesterday and got worse as the day wore on.
Last night at work I was so overcome with pain I thought I was going to throw up. The pain radiated all across my jaw and up into my ears.
Tylenol didn't work, so I ended up taking 1500 mg (bad, I know but there were no other painkillers on hand and no lidocaine or numbing agents anywhere!) of tylenol within about 3 hours.
The 2 tabs brought the pain down to an acceptable level but I was in agony.
 
This morning I hopped into bed to sleep off a terrible night, only to wake at 11 in agony again.
I popped a motrin (worked MUCH better) and called my dentist.
He saw me today and now I have an appointment to extract this troublesome wisdom tooth tomorrow at noon!
I'm going to push for 2 things to happen:
1. Get both of those wisdom teeth out in one go. I don't want to have to deal with the same thing again in a few months or years.
2. Put me under. Put me in a pleasant state of unconscious nothingness. Then when I wake up, pump me full of T3s or percs.
Please.
 
I'm a big baby and don't like painful things.
Although I was awake for my dental implant surgery and it wasn't so bad.
But in my twisted mind, drilling into the jawbone and putting something IN isn't as bad as yanking and cutting something out.
 
Anyway, I'll be a chipmunk this week.
All swollen and bruised and sore.
 
Which leads me to today's christmas song.
(even though everyone knows the best chipmunk song involves wanting a hulla hoop)
 
 
 
 
Yesterday I got busy in the kitchen in what I hope is the start to a week of cookies and cakes.
I came across this recipe in the Toronto Star and, being a lover of the combination of mint and chocolate, knew I had to make these.
If you like the mint girl guide cookies you will LOVE these.
The mint isn't overwhelming, it just adds such a nice kick to the cookie.
 
 
1 cup (250 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup (185 mL) dark brown sugar
1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp (5 mL) mint and peppermint extract
1-2/3 (410 mL) cup all-purpose white flour
1/2 (125 mL) cup cocoa
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
1/2 tsp (2 mL) table salt
1 cup (250 mL) package Hershey's mini kisses chocolate chips (*what I used)
 
 
  • In a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugars until fluffy, about two minutes. Beat in egg and extract.
  • In another bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Using spatula, add to sugar mixture in several batches. Stir in chocolate chips.
  • Bake in preheated 375F (190C) oven until puffed but firm, about 8 to 10 minutes.
  • Cool 5 minutes on baking sheets. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week or freeze up to 1 month.

No comments:

Post a Comment