Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Wedding Wednesdays: A gift for when you've agreed on no gifts

One week from Saturday my best friend gets married.
I didn't realize how much I was looking forward to this day until it started to get this close.
I'm so excited for her and cannot wait to be there with her to celebrate the marriage of two people I love and admire.
 
Since both of our weddings were/are this year, we decided to forgo the traditional gifts for one another, as whatever monetary gift they gave us would likely be given right back to them.
 
So we agreed: no gifts.
 
I obviously did not want to follow that agreement to the full extent and had planned on getting her some kind of bracelet charm, or a gift card for her and the new hubby to go for a romantic night out.
 
She also disregarded the rules and put together an amazing photo book of the incredible journeys we've been on during our 14 year friendship.
 
I had an idea.
I wanted to do this for her shower but we sort of combined her shower and her bachelorette into one so the idea got set aside.
 
Since I'm pretty sure she doesn't regularly read this blog (leap of faith, hope it doesn't end badly), here's what I'm trying to put together for the soon-to-be newlyweds:
 
A Book of Recipes for a Happy Marriage
 
 
 
I've started the scrapbook, now I just need participants to send me recipes that remind them of the couple as well as some words of advice for marriage, or wishes for a happy life together.

 
I'm starting the ball rolling with this recipe:
 
Gluten free Blondies
 
 
Gluten-Free Blondies

Ingredients
1 stick (1/2 cup) salted butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar (7.40 oz / 210 g)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup tapioca starch/flour (1.10 oz / 32 g)
1/4 cup sweet rice flour (1.25 oz / 35 g)
1/4 cup millet flour (1.35 oz / 37 g)
2 tbsp brown rice flour (0.70 oz / 20 g)
3/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/4 slivered almonds
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup chocolate chips
 
Steps
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease an 8 by 8 inch pan.
  2. Whisk together melted butter and brown sugar in a large bowl, until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla, and whisk until smooth.
  3. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flours and xanthan gum until uniform in colour. Stir the flours into the batter, a third at a time. Once combined, fold in the almonds, coconut and chocolate chips. Scrape into prepared pan and even the batter out through the pan.
  4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out with a crumb or two sticking to it. Let cool, in the pan on a cooling rack. Cut into squares and enjoy!
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Good thing I only read this now hahaha LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete