Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Holiday Biscotti (a 2-for-1 recipe post!)

Tomorrow night is my last shift in the ICU!
I'll be sad to leave but happy to regain free time and be closer to the holidays.
Yesterday I was finally "abused" by a client - I use quotations because it really wasn't abuse at all and I say finally only because I've been waiting for a hilarious moment like this.
The patient was confused and disoriented and trying to climb out of the bed. Not a great idea when you have a central venus access device in your jugular vein, IVs and arterial lines, and you're receiving dialysis from a machine at the bedside. We had to keep him loosely restrained so that he wouldn't escape from the bed.
He was becoming more and more agitated and I tried to reorient him to where he was. He told me he had to go to a dentist appt and that I needed to let him loose. I apologized and tried to explain as best I could why he had the restraints on (believe me, there's a policy of least restraint that is followed so people aren't just tied to beds for fun). He responded with, "ahhh let me loose you dickhead".

I had to turn and walk away to keep from laughing.
It might be the best name I've ever been called. Ever.
I wouldn't let just anyone call me a dickhead but this man endeared himself to me by doing so. The poor guy just wanted to get to that dentist appointment!

Anyway, the year is now officially winding down and free time is on the horizon.
John's work crew are taking turns bringing in baked goods every day for the next two weeks and John's turn is tomorrow. He said he was going to bring in his camping stove and make hot chocolate for everyone. I volunteered to bake. We decided biscotti would go nicely with hot chocolate as it's perfect for dunking.
I looked up a holiday biscotti recipe and went with gingerbread. I halved the recipe because in the comments section someone said it made 5 dozen (it didn't) and I was left with one measley cookie per person. So I made another batch. I was going to do double chocolate but I ran out of chocolate chips. I did however have some raspberries. So in they went.



Gingerbread Biscotti
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • In large bowl of an electric mixer, beat 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup molasses, and 1/4 cup fresh ginger until smooth. Add 3 eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. 
  • In a bowl, stir 3 cups flour, 1/2 tbsp baking powder, 1 tbsp cinnamon, 1 tbsp nutmeg, 1/2 tbsp cloves, and 1/2 tbsp allspice. Add to egg mixture; stir to blend.
  • On two greased 12x15 inch baking sheets, use well-floured hands to pat dough into 2 flat loaves, spacing them evenly on sheets. Bake in a 350 F. oven until browned at edges and springy to touch, about 25 minutes.
  • Let loaves stand on baking sheets until cool to touch, then cut into long, 1/2-inch thick diagonal slices. On baking sheets, arrange slices close together with a cut side down. Return to oven and bake at 350 F. until cookies are brown, 15 to 18 minutes longer. Let cool and enjoy!
Raspberry Chocolate Biscotti
(Taken from Martha's Double Dark-Chocolate & Ginger Biscotti Recipe)
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
  • In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup flour, 1/3 cup cocoa powder, 1 1/2 tsp  baking powder, and 1/4 tsp salt until well combined; set aside. In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat 1 egg, 1 egg yolk, and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy; beat in 1 tsp vanilla and 1/4 cup oil until well combined.
  • With the mixer on low, beat in dry ingredients until combined. Mix in 1 cup fresh raspberries and use a spatula to mix well.
  • With moistened hands shape the dough into 2 logs, each about 9 inches long and 2 1/2 inches wide. Bake until set on top, about 20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes in pan. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
  • Transfer logs to a cutting board and, with a serrated knife, cut each log on the diagonal into 16 slices, each 1/2 inch thick. Bake until crisp, about 20 minutes, turning the biscotti over midway through. Cool 5 minutes on a baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to a week
Hey!
My LCBO gift basket came!
Not too shabby for a losing blog entry!
It's not a great picture what with the cellophane and all but there are 4 wine glasses, a tray, a bowl, kitchen towels, bread dipper, crackers, olives, a spread, a cheese board, cheese plates, and more that I can't see from where I'm sitting.
Pretty nice.
Thanks, LCBO!

2 comments:

  1. 1st - It was NOT a losing blog!! It was wonderful and not everyone got a gift basket. :) I did get a chance to try the Legends wine last weekend and 'approve'.
    2nd - I remember Papa in ICU the day they let some of the drugs wear off. They had him sitting up and talking to me and all he wanted was his pants and to go home. He kept trying to get off the bed, wires and all. I kept trying to explain what was going on. He didn't look happy with me BUT he DID NOT call me a 'dickhead'.
    3. Wow, you sure chose a tricky biscuit/cookie to make for John's workers. It must be love. Bet they tasted wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am now giggling because Wendy wrote dickhead :)

    I have a pretty nummy white chocolate cranberry biscotti recipe I will be reviving for this year's holiday baking. I now just want to eat biscotti though!

    YAY for you being done your shifts after today!

    ReplyDelete