Sunday, October 2, 2011

Casserole Night

Yesterday a sweet ol' pup made her way to that big backyard in the sky.
John's family said goodbye to their dog, Molly, after 14 years.
Pets become part of our families so to lose them is to lose a family member.

She was a beautiful dog with those sad eyes and a loving personality.
She will be missed but remembered always.

I've been crazy busy so I think I might start pre-posting in an effort to keep my ramblings from occuring only once a week.
I started my new job yesterday and it's wonderful.
I teach swimming lessons at a kid's rehab hospital and, apart from getting to work with kids, one of the perks is that the water in the pool is like a bath tub. It's beautiful.
I love that they operate on a reverse-integration policy so they register kids with different abilities first (Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Down's Syndrome to name a few of the more common) and then open up any remaining spots to the general public in the area.
As a result there is a nice mix of abilities and the learning opportunities for the kids and for the instructors are immense.
My mom (who I like to think of as the Equity Ambassador to the world) would be so proud.

What else?
I told you about my night shift at the hospital, about picking up any and every shift at (other) work this past week.... I slept for 12 hours last night. John and I went out for dinner then came home to watch a movie (Jim Gaffigen stand-up on Netflix). I fell asleep on the couch at 9:30 pm.
Woke up and moved into bed at 10.
Woke up this morning at 10 am.
Not only is 10 am like a solid 4 hour sleep in for me, but I rarely sleep for more than maybe 10 hours.
My body is quite happy this morning.

 Besides falling asleep before 10 pm, I think now that I am on the closer-to-30 side of my 20s my vision is starting to go.
I am an over-reactor and a slight hypochondriac (see this post for confirmation of both) so I just assume I have some sort of macular degeneration or a brain tumour in my occipital lobe.

I like to prepare for the worst.

Anyway, I need to go get my eyes checked when I get some free time. Not today. Today is my first day with NO obligations in a long time so I'm enjoying it as is.
It could be that being tired is just making me feel wonky-eyed or it could mean always wanting reading glasses has finally sunk deep enough into my subconcious mind that I'm creating symptoms.
I do have this really annoying floater in my right eye though...

Anyway.
I want to make these cupcakes, EXACTLY the way they are made to look in this picture.
Damn you, Betty Crocker and your craftiness.


Then I want to make this.
Maybe tonight.
Note: This picture is actually of a different recipe but I couldn't find a picture of the one I want to make so this visual will have to do.

From Everyday Food:
(picture of Scalloped Potato & Leek recipe on Marthastewart.com)


  • Preheat oven to 425. In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium high heat. Add 2 leeks (sliced, white and light green parts only), and 3 celery stalks (sliced). Cook until softened, about 8 minutes.
  • Add in 2 pkgs frozen artichokes, 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth, and 1 bar Neufchatel cheese (just use cream cheese like I plan on doing).
  • Remove skillet from heat and add in 2 tbsp lemon juice and salt and pepper.
  • Brush a baking dish with 1 tbsp oil. Arrange 1 medium russet potato, very thinly sliced, along the bottom of the baking dish and top with the artichoke mixture. Top the artichoke mixture with another 1 medium russet potatoes, very thinly sliced, and brush with 2 tbsp oil and season with salt and pepper.
  • Bake until sauce is bubbling and potatoes are gold and tender, about 35-40 minutes.

1 comment: