Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Banana Bread with an Oreo Twist

I think I bake banana bread more than anything else.
It's so easy, so good, and so necessary when there is a bunch of bananas slowly turning black in your fruit bowl.
Usually I go heavy on the chocolate chips or do chocolate chip variations (Easter themed banana bread with mini eggs is really good) but on Sunday night, as I mixed up my batter, I realized I had no chocolate at all.
I could have made a basic loaf but I like a challenge (and like chocolate even more) so I scoured the cupboards until I found a box of oreo cookie crumbs.
I debated between mixing the crumbs into the batter but thought a simple crust might be a nice compromise.
Even better? You don't need to add butter to the crumbs to make a crust. Simply cover the bottom of the loaf pan with the crumbs then spoon the batter on top!


*This is a Betty Crocker recipe that I adapted.
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a loaf pan and cover the bottom with oreo cookie crumbs.
  • In a bowl, cream 1/2 cup of butter with 1 cup of powdered sugar and 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • Stir in 2 eggs until well blended. Add in 4 medium bananas, 1/2 cup sour cream, and 1 tsp vanilla.
  • Stir in 2 1/2 cups flour, 1 tsp baking soda, and 1 tsp salt. Mix until combined then pour batter over the oreo crumbs.
  • Bake for an hour and 15 minutes or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Voila!
A different spin on banana bread.

I just finished 4 hours of editing a group paper that's due today by midnight so I am ready to take a little break from work before I hae to start studying for my exam on Saturday.
I'd like to do a little bit of wedding prep but I'm not sure how much I could feasibly do.
A few weeks ago I printed out 50 save-the-date cards so I'll likely need to figure out exactly how many cards I'll need, print out the remainder, then start putting the finishing touches on them.
That'll be my arts and crafts project to look forward to once this blitz of school work is done on Saturday!

1 comment:

  1. Wait, how do you avoid just downing every crumb of the Oreo's before putting the crumbs in?
    Good luck with the wedding plans. I highly recommend inviting immediate family only then having a separate, friend only wedding later (like you're eloping both with family then with friends). It's like having a wedding then a prom. It's great and saves cash. But of course everyone's wedding is their own thing.
    And good luck with school! It sounds like you're doing a great job of balancing.

    ReplyDelete