Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Cookie Cupcakes

Last summer on the final day of work I brought the maintenance staff a gift basket of goodies to thank them for all of their hard work.
These are the people that make sure the pool is up and running and clean every day and I really believe that it's so important to thank people.
So obviously I'll be doing the same thing again this year and the last day happens to be this Thursday.
I've been trying to brainstorm some ideas for the gift basket, not wanting to duplicate last years items (some of which can be found here). I came across a cupcake recipe in September's Everyday Food Magazine that I really want to try so I think they will be the first goodie for the gift basket.

(I took a picture on my camera of the cupcakes from the Everyday Food magazine and then picnik-ed it because I am now obsessed)


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 standard muffin cups with paper liners. Melt 2 tbsp butter and let cool.
2. In a large bowl whisk together 1/2 cup cocoa powder, 1 cup flour, 1 cup granulated sugar, 3/4 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp baking powder, and 1/4 tsp salt.
3. Lightly beat 1 egg plus 1 large egg yolk. Add the melted butter, 1/2 cup buttermilk, 1/2 tsp vanilla, and 1/2 cup hot water. Whisk until smooth. Spoon 1 tbsp batter into each muffin cup and top with 1 oreo cookie. Top the cookie with another tbsp of batter. Bake until cupcakes are puffed and set, about 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile in a large bowl using an electric mixer beat 1 cup butter and 3 tbsp raspberry jam on medium-high until smooth. Add 3 cups marshmallow topping and 1/3 cup confectioners sugar and beat until fluffy and smooth, about 3 minutes. Transfer mixture to a ziplock bag and cut a small hole in one corner. Pipe the frosting onto cooled cupcakes and serve immediately.

*Update: After receiving many thanks for the maintenance men, one told me specifically that "the cupcakes with the oreos in them" were his favourite thing in the basket.

No comments:

Post a Comment