Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Southern Style Biscuits

Sorry it's been awhile.
Lots of stuff to do.
I was very efficient and productive today though - edited a paper, wrote about half of my PAs (a performance appraisal based on the standards for nursing from the CNO, or as I see it a very time consuming way to suck the souls out of nursing students), finished up my stuff for my group presentation on Friday...all in all today felt good.

I made cinnamon buns yesterday but forgot to take a picture of them... and I made a Bailey's cheesecake the week before. I have picture of it on my phone but I couldn't find my camera (it has since been located) so I may or may not upload the terrible blackberry photo.

Actually I think I still have a bun or two kicking around that I could go photograph...

Regardless,
I have pictures and a recipe for you!

Explaining why I can forgive Paul Deen's butter-centric cooking and her terrible english peas recipe, I love Southern food.
The Swiss Chalet near me recently closed down and they put in a Popeyes. Sweet Lord I love Popeyes.
Specifically the biscuits.
So a few weeks ago when I made pulled pork I also made biscuits to go with it!

The biscuits were pretty good and were ridiculously easy to make!

Southern Biscuits
(aka Martha's Tender Buttermilk Biscuits)



1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Whisk 1 3/4 cups flour, 2 1/2 tsp baking powder,1 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp sugar in a large bowl. Cut in 5 tbsp cold butter, cut into peices with a pastry blender (or rub in with your fingers) until pea-size crumbs form. Cut in 1 large hard-cooked egg yolk, finely grated***. Stir in 3/4 cup plu 2 tbsp buttermilk until just combined.

*** The grated egg yolk creates a tender delicate texture to the biscuits.
2. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead twice. Pat dough to a 1-inch thickness. Using a 2 1/4-inch round cutter, cut out biscuits, and transfer to a nonstick baking sheet. Repat dough scraps, and repeat once.
3. Lightly brush biscuit tops with buttermilk. Bake until tops are golden brown, 20 to 22 minutes. Unbaked biscuits can be frozen up to 1 month. Brush with buttermilk, and bake 32 to 35 minutes.


1 comment: