Monday, September 20, 2010

Molasses Spiced Apple Loaf

I mentioned yesterday that I was going to try experimenting with the apples I bought rather than go the route of the standard (but delicious) apple pie.
I remembered that I'd made a batch of Martha's chewy molasses cookies last autumn and those delectable cookies kept creeping back into my thoughts.
I wondered if it would work if I used the recipe but turned it into a loaf and added some of the freshly picked apples.
Verdict? Delicious.
If you like gingerbread, this is a perfect autumn recipe to enjoy with a mug of hot apple cider.
Jamie (and Martha)'s Molasses Spiced Apple Loaf


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Skin 1 large apple and cut into 2-3 cm thick slices. In a bowl, beat 3/4 cup butter (softened) with 1 cup sugar. Add 1 egg and 1/4 cup molasses, stirring to combine after each addition.
2. Add in 2 cups flour, 1 tbsp cinnamon, 1 tbsp nutmeg, 1 tsp baking soda, and 1/2 tsp salt. Mix until combined.
3. Pour half of the batter into a greased loaf pan and with wet fingers press down. Place the slices of apple all over the batter then add the remaining batter, pressing down with wet fingers. Sprinkle 4 tbsp sugar over the surface.
4. Bake for about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and using a knife, poke holes in the loaf lengthwise where you expect to make cuts later on. Put back in the oven and bake for another 15 or 20 minutes until the top is firm and a knife or toothpick inserted comes out clean (almost clean is acceptable too as the loaf will firm up as it cools). Let loaf cool and then cut using the knife holes as a guide. Serve and enjoy!




If you're looking for another recipe to use your apples is, I'll have a great dinner one for you tomorrow.
Bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin with apples
Pork on pork. Proof that everything really does taste better wrapped in bacon.

P.S. The October issue of MSL is here so expect a review soon!

AND I've subscribed to Everyday Food so I may have some extra recipe recommendations :)

No comments:

Post a Comment