Saturday, September 4, 2010

Good Morning (Nut-Free) Granola Bars

John and I went shopping last night to pick up cat litter for the poor little bugger and while we were there I took a walk down the breakfast food aisle.
I starred at the peanut butter replacements for a few minutes, debating whether or not I would buy a jar and try out the "peanut butter" granola bar recipe.
After a few back and forth mind changes and a few encouraging words from John, we bought a jar.



This stuff is actually pretty good.
It has the same texture and the same taste as I remember peanut butter having.
You can probably find soy butter products at your grocery store on the same shelf as the regular peanut butter.
It's kind of funny....it took me a full five minutes to remind myself that this was safe and not actual peanut butter and that trying it wouldn't result in swelling, hives, and itchiness.
I literally put some on my finger and then looked back and forth between my finger and the jar for five minutes. I re-read the declarations and promises of being nut free several times.
In the end I bit the bullet and tried it, then later devoured half the pan of granola bars.
Like a shark going into a feeding frenzy from the faintest sniff of blood, such, apprently, is me with "peaNOT butter" as my friend Danielle cleverly called it.
I want to try and make those delicious peanut butter (replacement) cookies now!
Anna Olsen's original recipe, fiddled with to my liking:
Good Morning Nut-Free Granola Bars

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. I a bowl, toss together 2 cups rolled oats, 1 cup crispy rice cereal, 1/2 cup raisins, 1/4 cup chocolate chips, 1/4 cup mixed dry peels (like the kind you put in christmas fruit cakes).
2. In a sauce pan over medium-low heat, melt 1 cup soy butter, 1 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup butter, 2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, and a pinch of salt. Once melted together, pour overtop of the oat mixture.
3. Pour granola batter into a pan lined with parchment paper. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Let cool, then place pan in the fridge to allow granola to set, at least 2 hours. Cut into bars and enjoy!


I brought some over to my mom this morning and she was very impressed with how peanut-butter-y they really taste.
This product is perfect for anyone who loves peanut butter but can't have it for various reasons - allergies, working in a school, etc. I recommend giving it a try if you're curious about peanut butter replacements.
Hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment