Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Malted Chocolate Shark Cupcakes

As my summer job wraps up at the end of this week, I want to do something nice for my staff.
Sure they've bugged me at various times and for various reasons over the course of the summer but all in all they've been pretty good. I haven't had to deal with any real problems so for making my life easier I want to do a little something for them.
I mean, the staff are getting a gift basket, right?
Which reminds me, I'll be making the puff pastry straws tonight (already grated the parmesan) and getting on the cookie bars.
My fellow staff consist of 4 boys.
And as of late (immediately following shark week), these boys have really gotten into sharks.
So much so that two of them regularly practice their breaching during their breaks. And the other two have gotten in on the breaching fun.
Did I mention they've evern perfected a synchronized breach?
Anyway, I thought it would be appropriate and well received to bring in shark cupcakes.
I google searched some presentation ideas and have two to work with:





The first one will probably be the one I go with, unless I feel adventurous.
I love malted chocolate (Whoppers and Malteasers) so I want to do a malted chocolate cupcake.
I found a recipe here , which may be a site I frequent more regularly.
Malted Chocolate Cupcakes
1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¾ cup malted milk powder
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 ½ cups sugar
2 eggs
1 ½ cups whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325F
2.Mix flour, baking powder, salt, malt powder, and cocoa together and set aside.
3. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Alternately add flour mixture and milk. Add vanilla a beat well.
4. Spoon batter into cupcake papers, filling cups about 2/3 full.
5. Bake for 25(15 minutes for mini) minutes or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool.
Malted Chocolate Whipped Cream Icing

1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup powdered sugar
4 TBSP malted milk powder
2 TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder
1. In a large bowl, whip the cream until it forms soft peaks. Add sugar, malt powder, and cocoa powder. Beat until stiff.

I just need to find malted milk powder!
Here's hoping that Metro has it!

No comments:

Post a Comment