Monday, August 16, 2010

Bicycle Tour of 4 Wineries in Niagara-on-the-Lake

Yesterday morning, I got up at 7 am to shower and prepare for the day's mystery adventure.
We left promptly at 8:15 and got onto the QEW with only a quick stop at a Tim Horton's in Grimsby.
I had my suspicions as to where we were going and my major one was confirmed the minute we drove into Niagara-on-the-Lake.
If you've never been (this was my first time) I highly recommend it. It's absolutely beautiful. It has a very old timey feel and the whole place is well cared for.
I also knew I would love it here when the first store I saw was this one:


Just Christmas. They must have known I was coming.
We took a slight detour to park and to avoid these gentlemen:

They were marching t Fort George to test out their rifle accuracy, cannon fire, etc. It was cool to walk behind them and listen to their drumming. We didn't get to see any of the activities they put on though cause our main adventure took us from 11 am right through to 4:30.
John booked us on a Niagara Bike Wine Tour!
We got on our bikes and cycled between wineries.

We sampled wines at each of the four but we got the full tour at Lailey.

The barrels to give the wine that oak-y taste.


Grapes growing on the vine at Lailey.


Enjoying a sample at Lailey, where we bought a bottle of Reisling.


We also got a delicious lunch at Kurtz Orchard.
I got the turkey and havarti sandwich with a gigantic peach muffin and the crispiest, crunchiest peach I've had in awhile.
The other 3 wineries we visited were Caroline Cellars, Pelleteri (we bought two bottles from here, including a really good but not too sweet Late Harvest Gewurtztraminer icewine), and Rancour.

If you want to book your own bicycle tour of some wineries click here to find out about the tours that the company we went with runs.
If you like wine and the outdoors, you will love this adventure.
I had an amazing mystery birthday date!
Whatta great boyfriend :)
P.S. All of the skydivers jumped and landed safely! Congrats guys :)

1 comment: