Friday, July 23, 2010

On a More Serious Note...

As you all know, I use and abuse this blog with my random thoughts, rants, etc. But every once and awhile I like to think I do some good by talking about worthwhile causes.
Today I'm using the blog to talk about a serious but unfortunately ignored disease that has hit close to home: Lyme Disease.
My best friend's sister has been ill for some time now. She went through a period where she literally could not walk or move because her joints were so bad, among a slew of other horrible symptoms. She was diagnosed with Lyme disease and much to everyone's relief got better. Her family even threw her an emotional but fabulous "lyme" party to celebrate.
About 6 months ago, she relapsed. Not for the first time, as she's relapsed before, but this time has been absolutely awful.
She can't eat, has had days where she has literally seized all day from mini seizures, her joints make it impossible to move again, and worst of all feels like sometimes she can't go on. Worse than the symptoms, maybe, is the fact that more than once she has been refused treatment by doctors who don't believe that Lyme disease is a real diagnosis.
I won't try to convince you that it is, but to refuse someone the treatment they need when they are clearly suffering is so wrong that it's infuriating.
So today I would like to bring to your attention a very worthwhile cause.
My friend and her boyfriend have organized a sky diving event on August 15th to raise money and more importantly to raise awareness!
They are still recruiting jumpers so if jumping out of an airplane is on your bucket list, then I may be able to help you out!
Please visit the site here for more information.
Any donations are tax deductable, just an fyi ;)

We love you, Jamie, and you're not in this fight alone.
P.S. John and I are on the fence about actually jumping out of the plane. I would love love love to do it but seriously doubt I posess the cojones to physically maneouver myself not only out of the plane (yes I know someone will be strapped to me and I will have no say in the matter) but I think getting onto the plane will be an issue, knowing how I'd be getting back to earth.
I will keep you updated.
P.P.S. My sister's doing it with three of her best friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment