Friday, May 14, 2010

Earl Grey Tea Cookies


I swear I'm not purposely neglecting this blog.
I love this blog.
But I've been working like a mad women, especially this week as I did 2 extra shifts.
Yeesh.
But it's Friday!
Weeeeekend!
I'm going to give you the recipes I've been promising.
This was one of two that I made for John to take with him to Grimsby. He goes again next week (boo) so I'll have to do some more baking this weekend.
I do have a nice dinner on the go for him as we speak.
Pulled pork (oh my gosh it smells so good I'm really proud of myself), cornbread muffins, spicy fries and a pumpkin pie for desert.
I will DEFINITELY post the pulled pork.
I obviously want to brag about what a great job I did.
But for now -
Earl Grey Tea Cookies


1. In a bowl, whisk 2 cups flour, 2 tbsp finely ground tea leaves (about 8 tea bags), and 1/2 tsp salt in a small bowl; set aside.
2. Put 1 cup butter, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1 tbsp orange zest in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in flour mixture until just combined.
3. Divide dough in half. Transfer each half to a piece of parchment paper; shape into logs. Roll in parchment, pressing along the edge of parchment to narrow the log and force out air. Transfer in parchment to paper towel tubes; freeze until firm, 1 hour.
*** as in put them in the freezer, don't put them in the fridge. Or they will crumble like the dickens when you try to cut them later. I promise.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut logs into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Space 1 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment.
5. Bake cookies, rotating sheets halfway through, until edges are golden, 13 to 15 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks. Cookies can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 5 days.

These cookies are very tasty and if you are a tea drinker they will appeal to you even more. And if you like butter, guess what? You're also in luck. These are very rich in butter so not a good idea for every-cup-of-tea consumption. But worth induldging in every now and then.
Now to go get the laundry and finish up with dinner!
And then - off to the final dress fitting for the wedding which is less than 2 months away!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment