Thursday, April 29, 2010

Black Bottom Coconut Squares

My phone is broken....I'm not happy.
This morning actually started out on a really good note but now.....
We'll wait and see what Rogers can do for me.
I ran my second practice 10K this morning and I'm still not quite making my goal of coming in under 50 minutes. I did it in just under 51 so I'm getting closer but with Sunday fast approaching there's a chance this might not be a realistic goal. Oh well. Finishing and giving money to a good cause is all that matters.
I was also inspired to do a little free-time baking this morning.
I made a really delicious desert that I used to make a lot but haven't made in years.
This recipe comes to you courtesy of Martha Stewart
Black Bottom Coconut Squares

To make these squares:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a square pan with tin foil, leaving a bit of an overhang. Butter or grease the tin foil. Set aside.
  2. In a bowl, mix 1/2 cup melted butter with 1/2 cup sugar. Beat in 1 egg. Mix in 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup cocoa powder. Pour into the tin foiled pan and bake for 10-15 minutes.
  3. In a clean bowl beat 2 eggs with 3/4 cup sugar. Add in 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 cup flour and 1 pkg shredded coconut (save and set aside 1/2 cup).
  4. Drop the coconut batter on top of the slightly cooled baked bottom layer and spread evenly with wet finger tips. The water will keep the batter from sticking to your fingers. Sprinkle the saved 1/2 cup of shredded coconut evenly over the top. Bake for 25-30 minutes then let cool, cut, and enjoy!

And there you have it! It's easy to make even though you have to bake it in 2 stages and it tastes so good - provided that you like coconut.

I'm going to see if it's warm enough for me to sit in the sun for a bit before I take my angry self and my craptastic phone over to Rogers....

Tomorrow's Friday!!!

Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment