Saturday, February 20, 2010

Tomato & Basil Tart

Let's get the obligatory cute kitten photos out of the way straight of the bat:


There. He's such a funny cat. We had friends over last night to ooh and aah over him and he hid for a bit but got bold and started walking around. Then he would run into the bedroom and meow until someone went to look at him. He'd be standing right in the middle of the bedroom just waiting. He slept under the foot of our bed last night on my snuggie. This morning we played with him a bit and then plopped him down on the bed next to John and the boys fell asleep together. He's like a little shadow too 'cause he will follow us from room to room. He doesn't like to be alone and he really likes his belly rubbed.
I'm smitten with this kitten.
So is John.
We got him a little mouse and a flea toy today and he's already almost chewed the tail off of the mouse. OH! And to our happy amazement, he's already fully litter trained! He had his first pee last night (we applauded him - no joke) and then he took a number two last night all on his lonesome in his litter box. He's such a smart guy.
I wish he would stay this tiny forever.
But enough gushing!
Tonight we're going out for my friend's birthday so I thought I would make an appetizer to take over to her place for the pre-drink. I've made this a few times before and it always goes pretty quick. I got the idea from an episode of Chuck's Day Off but made it my own.
Tomato & Basil Tart

For this tart you will need:
  • 1 pkg thawed puff pastry
  • 2-3 tomatoes or 1 pkg of cherry tomatoes
  • hot mustard
  • Shredded cheese
  • Basil (ideally fresh but dried will work if you don't have it fresh as seen above)
  • salt and pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350. Roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface. Place on a baking sheet with a peice of parchment paper or tin foil underneath.

2. Spread a thin layer of hot mustard on the puff pastry. Lay the tomatoes on top, then sprinkle with cheese (I didn't have any cheese :( ), top with basil and salt and pepper.

3. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until the puff pastry starts to turn a golden brown. Then cut and enjoy!

Now I have to go enjoy my tenderloin that I've been grilling and then get dressed for a party!

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment