Friday, February 12, 2010

Pulled Pork Sammy's & (faux) Bellinis

I am sleepy.
But the weekend is here!
I have lots of exciting plans lined up for this weekend - AND on top of all that, this upcoming week is my reading week!
Here are my plans:




Sleep, sit for hours in bubble baths, and make fancy drinks.
I'm really craving a Bellini and I'm hoping that the place I'm going for dinner tonight has them on the menu. The one's from Moxies are by far the best. Swiss Chalet, though, does make a mean bellini also. I ordered one in a fancy Italian restaurant in Stratford and they gave me an actual bellini - proseco and peach juice.
I want the frozen kind that comes loaded with various liquors splashed all up in there.
Perhaps tomorrow, or Sunday, or Monday night, or Wednesday night of next week I will attempt to create my own. Maybe I'll even do it on all of those days.
If you want to make your own (faux/slushy) bellini here's what you should do:
Mix together:
  • 1/2 shot white rum
  • 1 shot peach shnapps
  • 1 shot sparkling wine
  • 1/2 cup sprite
  • 1/2 cup soda water
  • 1/2 cup peach juice

Pour all of these into a blender, add ice, and blend away then finish with 1 shot of sangria poured over the top.

This year for Valentine's day dinner I bought some heart-shaped pasta from Costco. Cheese and spinach filled pasta. Mmmmmm. John said he would make a sauce for it. I kind of want a rose sauce. He makes good ones.



Soon, my darlings, soon you'll meet your fate in my stomach.

Now, tonight I'm going out for dinner with John and some friends from work. We're going to the Memphis Smoke House and boy howdy my stomach is excited. I'm mulling over my menu options and I keep coming back to pulled pork.
I had a pulled pork sandwich for the first time this past summer during the Martha-Cottage-Cookoff-Competition when my cousin and his wife made them. Heaven.
I thought I'd find a recipe for it and mayhap one day try to make it all on my own. For now I will dream about eating it in mere hours.
(Lighter) Pulled Pork Sandwiches

(I forgot where I done stole this photo from - oops)
Martha says that for this recipe you will need:


1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 pork tenderloin (about 1 pound), cut into 4 pieces
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 head small green cabbage, shredded
4 whole-wheat rolls, split

  1. In a medium saucepan, stir together tomatoes, sugar, garlic, mustard, and 1/2 cup water; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; add pork, and simmer, covered, until tender, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer pork to a plate to cool. Simmer sauce over medium, uncovered, until reduced by half, about 20 minutes
  2. Meanwhile, make slaw: In a bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon vinegar, celery seed, and 1 tablespoon water; season with salt and pepper. Add cabbage, and toss to coat.
  3. Shred pork with 2 forks, and return to sauce; stir in 1 teaspoon vinegar. Serve pork on rolls, topped with slaw.

    I'm going to go start getting ready for this big dinner. Do my stretches, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment