Friday, January 15, 2010

Weekend Time!

Hallelujah it is Friday!
It has felt like a very long week so I'm ready for a few days of rest.
Doing a little entertaining for John's mom's birthday tomorrow evening so I stopped off at the grocery store to pick up some stuff to make appetizers. Below you will find everything you need to make some tasty little sandwiches (open face):

  • A loaf of ciabatta bread
  • Bocconcini cheese
  • Tomatoes
  • "Alfalfa" sprouts
  • Labneh (it's a middle eastern strained yogurt and tastes like a cross between sour cream and cream cheese)

My plan (and I already tried it out. Results are in: it's good) is to cut open the ciabatta, spread both sides with the labneh, then sprinkle on the alfalfa sprouts. Thickly slice the tomatoes and place on the sprouts, finishing the sandwich with peices of bocconcini cheese. So good. You can also drizzle some olive oil over the cheese if you want as it's a very bland cheese. I find the labneh and the tomato add enough flavour without the oil.

I have a confession: I never donated the Bad Sweater Party money to the Daily Bread Food Bank :( I brought the money to my parents house on Christmas Eve because John and I dropped off the canned goods and tried to give them the money there but we were told we had to do it somewhere else. I forgot to get the money back from my parents until about 2 weeks ago and then again completely forgot to donate slash in my defence I work a lot and my free time was dedicated to completely zoning out. But regardless...

On Wednesday I finally donated the money. But like I said before, not to the Daily Bread Food Bank. I asked John's permission for a change of donor as he was my partner in fundraising. I donated the $300 we raised to the Canadian Red Cross Haiti Relief Fund.

The situation in Haiti is devastating and I think sometimes we need to step back from our priveleged lives and do what we can to help those less fortunate. So many of these people have lost everything. What would you do in their situation?

Sorry if that sounded like I was guilting you into donating - definitely wouldn't do that! If you plan to donate here are some places you can (safely) do so:

Canadian Red Cross

Wyclef Jean's Yele Haiti Organization (I've tried numerous times to get on this site but it's always down...I hope because the volume of people logging on and donating is massive)

ONExONE

Oxfam, Save the Children Canada, Care

Unicef Canada

Just to name a few.

Have a wonderful weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment