Wednesday, December 16, 2009

9 Days 'Til Christmas! (Day 16)

9 more days...holy moly. And this Saturday is my Sweater Party! So excited. I went to the dollarstore today and picked up some decorations but I still want more... it's a big, bare room.
Anyway, thought today I'd provide another recipe that goes well at parties. I make one of these (the cranberry one) pretty much at least once a year. It's easy, it's fancy looking, and it gives you the freedom to personalize it with almost any flavour you want.
Cheese Balls
(ha-ha)

For the basis of the balls you will needto mix together:
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
  • 3 packages cream cheese (8 ounces each)
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 5 dashes hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
  1. Divide the mixture evenly into 3 portions and place in seperate bowls.

Cheddar Cheese and Cranberry

  1. To the first bowl, add 8 ounces of shredder sharp cheddar cheese, 2 tbsp chutney, and 3/4 cup dried cranberries.
  2. Place the mixture into saran wrap and shape into a ball. Roll the ball in more dried cranberries to coat the outside then put the ball in the fridge to set.

Roquefort and Walnut

  1. To the second bowl, add 6 ounces Roquefort cheese, 1 minced scallion, 2 tsp of brandy, and 1 cup chopped toasted walnuts.
  2. See step 2 above.

Goat Cheese and Scallion

  1. To the 3rd bowl, add 8 ounces of goat cheese, 2 tbsp finely minced scallions, and 1/3 cup finely chopped parsley.
  2. See step 2 from first cheese ball.

*I actually prefer to make a mix of 2 and do a Cranberry & Goat Cheese ball. It's so good. I'd make the walnut would if I could eat 'em. You know what else goes very well with goat cheese? Figs. Roasted figs....mmmmmm

I thought, too, that I would post some pictures from The Bad Sweater Party's of previous years.
Year 1 (2006) - I kept that sweater. It's quite nice.
Year 2 (2007) - I made my own that year. Bought a plain one and decorated the sh*t out of it. I even had a tree out of a kind of tassled trim. Fantastic.

Year 3 (2008) - I love these sweaters. I think my sister just wears that one every year. I wouldn't be surprised if she brought it out again this time around.

Anywhoooo I want to attempt to either make some lollipops tonight or some stained glass cookies. Didn't get around to the bouche de noel today. Maybe tomorrow...?

No comments:

Post a Comment