Tuesday, December 22, 2009

3 Days "Til Christmas! (Day 22)

Big day today, and tomorrow, and Thursday, and Friday, and Saturday through to Monday! I am so ready for this holiday blitz!
Tonight, as I mentioned yesterday, John and I are joining my family to see Jersey Boys! We're having them over for dinner first and operations in the kitchen are underway. Instead of printing those Cardinal name place holders (from a few days ago), I'm baking cookies and using the new cutters that I got to put every person's name into the cookie. I'm using those as place holders. I think it's a cute idea.
Tomorrow we're heading over to the ROM to check out the dead sea scrolls before they leave Toronto. I'm excited and I also really want to go see the Tut exhibit at the AGO. But that can wait for another day. Also tomorrow night John's good friend is hosting her annual "Questmas" party so we're heading over to that. I might make more cookies....I don't know. I'll have to get a good hostess gift.
Today I thought I'd give you another recipe to try as I don't have pictures of my desert or place holders just yet...because they're not even nearly done.
My Nanny makes this delicious Fudge and I've tried and tried and tried to make it but have only done so once successfully. I do have a candy thermometer now and I think that was the thing that was holding me back from greatness. I could never quite make it to the hard ball stage either because I had the heat on too high or I was too impatient. The result was fudge juice. It really only ever set once and even then I think it was more because it froze rather than set....
But regardless.
This fudge makes for a nice gift and if you have a candy thermometer you will be just fine!
(I tried to make this exact recipe once before as well but ended up burning the pot so keep an eye on your candy)
Irish Cream Fudge
You will need:
  • 1/2 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1 cup white sugar
    3/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup Irish Cream liqueur
  • 2 1/4 cups icing sugar, sifted
  1. Grease an 8-inch square pan and line with parchment paper so that it hangs over the sides.
  2. Stir evaporated milk, brown sugar, white sugar, butter and salt in a heavy-bottomed saucepot. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often, and cook until 238 °F (use a candy thermometer to gauge).
  3. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and Irish Cream and scrape into a bowl or mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. With the mixer on low speed or electric beaters, add in the icing sugar in three additions, mixing well after each addition.
  4. Scrape fudge into prepared pan and let cool completely before slicing.
Thank you, Anna Olson.

I'll post tomorrow with pictures from the dinner party.

AND since we're getting close............click here

No comments:

Post a Comment