Wednesday, December 2, 2009

23 Days 'til Christmas! (Day 2)




Day 2 of 25-Days-of-Posts for Christmas! I know I've already spoke about this topic as a Christmas Wednesday theme BUT I've know baked them and have pictures and a recipe to post!
Behold! Hark! The Gingerbread angels sing.
I went on a gingerbread craze. I made enough to build a village. Literally. The recipe was for making the sections of a house so I had a ton of cookies. Plus I used my tiny cookie cutters so I quite literally had over a hundred cookies. I brought them in for my Monday night staff at work and on Tuesday for the learning team I run for the first year students.

I got the 'Noel' cookie cutter way back during the labour day weekend. Now I can use it!!

My army of gingerbread fellas.

These cookie cutters were one of the best investments I ever made. There's a tree, a candy cane, a snowflake, a gingerbread man, an angel (none on the tray), and a mitten.

Got a craving for gingerbread? I've got two recipes but I've never actually gotten around to trying the second one. I can't say no to molasses. I love the stuff. It's so satisfying to pour out.

Molasses Gingerbread Cookies
  • Whisk together 2 3/4 cups flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 4 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg, and 1 1/2 tsp ground cloves
  • Beat 1 stick butter (8 tbsp) and 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar in a bowl until fluffy. Add 1 egg and beat well. Add 3/4 cup molasses and beat slowly.
  • Add flour mixture into molasses mixture gradually and stir until combined.
  • Divide dough into 2 portions, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
  • Preheat oven to 350.
  • On a generously floured surface, roll out the dough and cut out into desired shapes.
  • For better results you could then place the cookies on the baking sheet and put into the freezer for 15 minutes. I am impatient and skip this step with no negative consequences.
  • Bake cookies for about 8-10 mins, or until light brown.

Nice and easy, right? Honestly the longest part of this process is waiting while it's in the fridge. And switching cookie sheets when you make hundreds of cookies.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the recipe! Many more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment