Thursday, December 3, 2009

22 Days 'til Christmas! (Day 3)


Day 3 of 25. Christmas just keeps getting closer!
So today the 3 of you who read this blog (Hi Mom! Hi Aunt Wendy! Hi John!) are lucking out: you get a craft AND a recipe! It was just going to be a craft but upon browsing through the holiday Woman's Day magazine I purchased (I'm a sucker for eye pleasing covers) I came across a recipe that I may make several times over the holidays. It sounds soooo good.
Craft first:
Snow-Dusted candles
I came across this in the December issue of Martha and ear-marked the page 'cause I knew I'd be trying it out. It's simple and easy and looks really good even if you sucks at crafts.
All you need is:
  • A candle
  • Epsom salts/Sea salt (what I used - will try another one with the epsom salts from the bathroom)
  • Glue



Paint the glue onto the base of the candle and roll in salt (or sprinkle it on). Wait for it to dry before moving it or the salt will come off. It'll take a good few minutes for it to completely dry too so it'd be a good idea to go do something else in the meantime.

Ta-da! Definitely doesn't look as nice as the one's in Martha but whatever. It still looks good. And I have it nestled in with my red candles (the "accused" I like to call them, since they were the ones that caused John to blame me of Christmas decorating when I put them out. Poor candles) so it fits well. I may try snow-dusting a red one just to see but in general blue candles work best.
Okay- recipe time!
Panettone Bread Pudding
This one looks AMAZING (and very simple!) so get ready. Here's what you'll need:
  • A panettone (enough for about 8 cups) cut into cubes
  • 4 large eggs
  • 4 cups of eggnog.
  1. Heat the oven to 350 and coat a shallow baking dish with non-stick spray.
  2. Whisk eggs until blended, then add eggnog.
  3. Place panettone cubes in the baking dish and pour the eggnog mixture over top to coat.
  4. Bake for 50-55 mins or until an inserted knife comes out clean.

Easy, right? Just be warned....this delicious sounding desert packs 420 calories per serving (the bread pudding serves 8 - make it serve 16 and it'll only set you back 210 calories).

Either way, it's the holidays and everyone sort of expects to gain a few. I've been actively trying to get in as much exercise as I can in anticipation of the week-long Christmas festivities I'll be enjoying! Actually though... Sweater party on the 19th, John and I are trying to plan a fancy black-tie drinks and hors d'oeuvres night, out for dinner and to see Jersey Boys with my fam on the 22nd, a Christmas party on the 23rd, Christmas eve (my family's tradition of skating and chinese food), Christmas day (John's grandfather's place), Boxing day and the 27th in Ottawa for the cousin's gift exchange and the country-Christmas gift exchange. Whew! I could probably gain about 10 lbs without trying in the next few weeks so I'll have to be extra vigilant. I need to get in super shape by July. My 2 good good friend's wedding. In Jamaica. I want glutes to die for.

Christmas Countdown continues tomorrow!

P.S. I decorated my wreath and it's up on the door! That might be tomorrow's post. Also, this weekend I'm trying to convince John to come to Ikea so we can buy our tree. Honestly, it's my favouite smell in the world. I think pine tree smell is to Jamie as ether is to addicted doctor's from the past. I am going to go over to my parent's place at some point this weekend to help my mom decorate the tree so whether I get my ikea tree this weekend or the next, I'll still get my tree-decorating fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment