Thursday, December 24, 2009

1 Day 'Til Christmas! (Day 24)

It's Christmas Eve!!!
Potentially my favourite day of the entire year. Even more preferable than my birthday. The anticipation of waiting for Santa, the tradition of skating (or looking at the skaters and huddling to keep warm in recent years) and chinese food downtown, being with my family and feeling so at peace...I love everything about it.
For today's recipe, I was reminded of this by episode 9 of Dexter (season 4) where they're preparing their Thanksgiving dinner. Rita's looking for oven space and she's holding a dish of candied yams.
Now, I don't know how popular a dish this is but I had it last year for the first time and oh. my. gosh. were they amazing. John's aunt made them for Christmas dinner last year and being afflicted with a sweet tooth these were right up my alley. At first glance they make look like a weird, gross combination of flavours but please, give it a try. On searching for a recipe I found them listed also as White Trash Yams but that is mean and demeans their deliciousness.
So, ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you....(drumroll)....
Candied Yams

To make this masterpiece you will need:
  • Sweet potatoes
  • 1/4 cup od butter, cut into pieces
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
  1. Preheat oven the 400 degrees and bake the sweet potatoes for about 45 mins.
  2. Let the sweet potatoes cool and then mash them with the brown sugar and maple syrup.
  3. Place the mashed sweet potatoes into a medium sized baking dish. Distribute the butter pieces evenly over the potatoes, then top with the marshmallows.
  4. Bake uncovered for about 10-15 mins, the enjoy!

Ok Christmas people, have an AMAZING Christmas Eve however you spend it. I will attempt to post tomorrow but goodness knows I'll be a busy girl opening presents and what not.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!

and because it's fun....click here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment