Thursday, October 1, 2009

'Good Things' for October

It is officially fall here in Toronto, as the leaves are just starting to change colour and the weather has certainly seen a drop in the mercury. Brrr.
I meant to do this last month but forgot so beginning this month you can expect a 'Good Things' list for each month. Here are my 'Good Things' for October:
Nature walks.


When the leaves start to change colour and fall it makes for some very beautiful scenery. I suggest planning a day trip to a park and checking it out. I went to Edwards Gardens last Thanksgiving long-weekend and it was wonderful.

Warm Sweaters.

As the temperature continues to drop these become a necessity. I actually really like autumn for this reason. I love being able to wear warm, cuddly sweaters without being too cold. It's a very nice in-between and I love being able to cuddle up in sweaters.
Even in sweater-overkill like the models above.

Thanksgiving Dinner(s).
I don't know about you but I live for the 3 times a year I am guaranteed a big turkey dinner with all the fixings (Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter). I love that it takes upwards of 6 hours to cook the turkey, I love the smell it gives off, and I love the wonderful sleepiness of the tryptophan. I love that I have one dinner with my family and another with John's family. Turkeyyyyy. I should start demanding turkey for my birthday dinner.

Squash.

I really love everything about squash. They make for such great decor peices and they also taste really good. Nutritious and delicious. I made a surprisingly good squash tart earlier in August (recipe here) and I think I will make it again. My favourite would probably have to be the spaghetti squash. You cut it in half, bake it for about 45 mins and then go at it pulled-pork style with a fork. I often eat it like spaghetti too with sauce and cheese. If you've never had it, BUY ONE.
This is what it looks like and the open side on the left is what it looks like when you scrape it out.


Halloween Fun-Size Candy.

I love Halloween. I get to dress up and pretend I know how to put on makeup. I went trick-or-treating until I was 15. No joke. My best friend and I are both under 5'3" and withour youthful visages we still get mistaken for teenagers. I could probably go this year and only get a few "aren't you a little old for this?" looks. Or I could just do what I learned from my mom and buy several packages of the candy and eat most of them before Halloween actually rolls around. Important life lessons. Thanks, mom.

So there you have it, your 'Good Things' for October.

I'm off to a country fair this weekend so you can expect some pictures and hopefully some good country stories.

Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment